Government opposes Ballina sports centre motion
MEDIA RELEASE – 21 November 2014
The Greens NSW sports spokesperson Jeremy Buckingham today condemned the Baird Government for opposing a motion in favour of building a multi-purpose sports centre for Ballina, saying the National Party are failing to deliver for the people and particularly the children of Ballina.
“The Greens moved this motion in parliament to put the issue of a multi-purpose sports centre for Ballina on the political agenda. It is disappointing the government opposed the motion and continues to drag its feet on this issue,” said Greens MP Jeremy Buckingham.
“Why do other major centres enjoy this kind of facility, but a growing Ballina misses out? It is not fair and the Greens will continue to campaign to have funds and land committed to a new sports centre,” he said.
MOTION: Ballina multi-purpose sports centre
- Mr Buckingham to move—
That this House:
- calls on the NSW Government to fund the construction of an indoor multi-purpose sports and events centre for Ballina,
- recognises that Ballina is the only town of its size in New South Wales that does not have a multi-court indoor sporting facility,
- recognises the potential for a modern, world-class indoor sports facility in Ballina to support the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast and boost the regional economy,
- recognises the work of the Ballina Community and in particular the Ballina Basketball Association, Ballina Regional Indoor Sporting Association, Southern Cross School, Basketball NSW, and the Ballina Shire Council in supporting this project, and
- condemns The Nationals for failing to gain funding for this important project, despite it being over five years since the indoor sport and events centre was approved by the Ballina local council
Video of Jeremy Buckingham MLC placing the motion on the notice paper can be viewed below
Contact: Max Phillips – 9230 2202 or 0419 444 916